3/26/10

I really felt like it was ok.

Have you ever done something totally out of the ordinary and maybe even unsafe because you felt God in it?  Ok, I'll just tell ya.  I picked up a stranger. 

I was at Aldi getting some veggies for dinner (I know... they're not organic) and there was a boy (18-20) in front of me.  He had a few groceries and 3 recylable Aldi bags.  He couldn't afford the bags so he put them back -  He couldn't afford some of the groceries so he put a few back. 

I could handle the bags and I could handle a box of "Cookie Crisp" but when he started putting several of the groceries back that's when compassion steped in.  I offered to pay for the rest of his order and he accepted.  He was a little confused at first but was grateful.  (Isn't it a BLAST confusing people with kindness?)

As I was leaving, the boy whispered something to me.  He quietly (because of embarrassment I guess) asked if I could give him a ride home.  I said that I couldn't (only women) but that my husband could.  He accepted.

I put my groceries in the car and called my husband.  Since I was at peace with the situation my husband said that it would be ok for me to give him a ride. 

I drove up to the boy (who was patiently waiting for me to go home and get my husband) and told him that my husband said it was ok for me to give him a ride.

As we drove home, he opened up to me a bit about his life.  Interesting... I'm a complete stranger.  I often go home to my husband and ask if I have a sign on my forehead that says to tell me all about your life! 

The boy was open to having someone from our church come and pick him up some Sunday.  It just so happens that one of our families lives a block away from him!!  ;)  I think I'll hook them up!

So, that's my crazy story for the day.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

God bless you for reaching out. It may not always seem like the wise thing to do, but God can still protect us when we follow Him.

momtofivekids said...

You showed that young man God's love. I picked up a hitchhiker once (it was the only time) I even had kids in the car, but I felt it was what God wanted me to do. It was one of the best things I've ever done! This woman told me her life story and then I let her to Christ!

Unknown said...

What a great day you had!

Beautiful Mess said...

Love it! Praise God! Can't wait to see what God is going to do!

Thank you for being Jesus today! and for him being Jesus to you. Least of these---

Debbie said...

Wow! Great story! Good for you for being brave enough to step out and help him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...