There are several ways to make detergent. I use the following recipe which goes along with the second tutorial.
- 1 quart Boiling Water
- 2 cups Grated Bar soap (Takes about 10 minutes)
- 2 cups Borax (I purchase at Meijer)
- 2 cups Washing Soda (purchased at Meijer)
- 1 large bucket (I use a 5 gallon with a lid)
- Boil 1 quart of water in a pan (I use stainless steel).
- Add grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. Keep on low heat until soap is melted. Don't let it boil over!
- Pour the soap water into a large, clean bucket and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until everything is dissolved. (Be careful of the soap fumes; they are strong!)
- Add 2 gallons of water to contents, stir and mix well.
- Cover bucket - soap will gel in a few hours. Use about 1/4 cup for each load. Stir soap each time you use it.
Both of the following tutorials make detergent in different ways but they do work great and save money!