10/15/10

How I Save Money ~ Part 3

Another way that I save money is by making homemade laundry detergent. No kidding!  I sure do and I LOVE it!  It's easier than pie and turns out, it only costs about a penny a load!

There are several ways to make detergent.  I use the following recipe which goes along with the second tutorial. 

 
Needed:
  • 1 quart Boiling Water
  • 2 cups Grated Bar soap (Takes about 10 minutes)
  • 2 cups Borax (I purchase at Meijer)
  • 2 cups Washing Soda (purchased at Meijer)
  • 1 large bucket (I use a 5 gallon with a lid)
Instructions:
  1. Boil 1 quart of water in a pan (I use stainless steel).
  2. Add grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. Keep on low heat until soap is melted.  Don't let it boil over!
  3. Pour the soap water into a large, clean bucket and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until everything is dissolved. (Be careful of the soap fumes; they are strong!)
  4. Add 2 gallons of water to contents, stir and mix well.
  5. Cover bucket - soap will gel in a few hours. Use about 1/4 cup for each load. Stir soap each time you use it.

 

 Both of the following tutorials make detergent in different ways but they do work great and save money!

 
Do you make your own?

 


 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...